Sunday 27 March 2016

Easter Chick

I had found this pattern a few years ago and ran across it again this weekend and it called to me.  This was so much fun to make even though the pattern was in polish and at times I was moving backwards more that frontwards.  It called for a comb on the top and was to be a rooster but it seemed more like a chick to me. 

Here is a link to the pattern. If you have any questions I can help you out. I completed this in Omega thread size 30 and the chick is just shy of 2 inches tall. 

I've put a little cotton ball in the head to keep it round.  Black beads for eyes are put on at the picot join and bugle beads added for a beak after tatting. 


I found it a bit difficult to take a good picture of 3D tatting and would welcome any suggestions. 

9 comments:

  1. Very cute :-) And this can sit atop a kettle lid or casserole lid ! Or maybe a hardboiled egg ?!
    As regards 3D photography -- I find it Extremely difficult to get the lens to see what I am seeing. The perspective and depth our eyes easily give, is missing with cameras (unless you have special skills & cameras). So I end up taking many , many pics before selecting a few that seem okay. Yet it is never what the real is .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Just perfect for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say this pattern has been around for a little while and I really enjoy seeing these cute little chicks. Pleased that you are offering help with the pattern because it looks so complicated - well done for tatting it and making it look so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bernice! I also made this pattern and was looking for the diagram as a friend is going to do it and I'd marked mine up. Your blog came up! Mine is done in white size 10 with red perle cotton for the comb, etc. I want to make another one or two but will not be using 10 and do recommend using smaller thread. Once I studied the diagram I discovered that it isn't nearly as difficult as it looks. It's just a matter of carefully watching the counts on each row. The sequence of the last couple of steps/rounds wasn't clear to me so I just "winged" it and probably have a cut and tie that wasn't necessary! They are just too cute. I think I have a picture on my phone that I can send. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, I think a brown version may be made to look like a turkey, this chick was done in size 30 which fits on top of a medium sized egg. I didn't try the comb on top but that would make a nice rooster.

      Delete
  5. It is wonderful I have wanted to try this for long time I followed the link for pattern but it didn't work I will try again tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I have checked the link. This also appeared in Moje Robotki and the pattern is by Aleksandra Pawlak.

      Delete

It is always nice to see that someone has commented on my posts. Your comment will be published after verification. Happy Tatting